Homemade Candy Apples
I absolutely can not believe all of the Halloween stuff I am seeing everywhere. It’s not just the candy either! There are costumes and yard decorations already lining the shelves of almost any store you go into. It seems like just a few days ago we were just kicking off our summer. Time flies, and as crazy as it seems that we are nearing the end of another year, I am ready to embrace Fall. It was a pretty hot summer here in Texas so some cooler days are very welcome! I wanted to be sure to share some of our new Fall and holiday recipes with you early this year so you had plenty of time to find something you like. You know how those holidays just seem to sneak up on some of us. To kick things off, we’re going to start with our Homemade Candy Apples recipe!
- 6 Organic Apples
- 6 Wooden Skewers, Lollipop or Popsicle sticks
- 2 cups Sugar
- ½ cup Corn Syrup
- 1 cup Water
- Red Food Coloring
- If you don't buy organic apples, you will need to remove the wax to allow candy to stick.
- To remove wax, boil 6 cups water with 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Remove from heat. Dip apple in water and dry completely.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray. Set to the side.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the apples.
- Insert the sticks in the apples, where the stem would be.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat.
- Cook until a candy thermometer reaches 300 (hard crack).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the optional food coloring (watch out for splashing).
- Carefully dip each apple into the candy mixture, twirling to completely cover.
- Allow excess to drip back into pan.
- Place on prepared sheet and allow them to harden.
My kids go crazy when we start to make these Homemade Candy Apples! They absolutely LOVE them. Since we have a November birthday in our house (the only one that’s not in the Summer), we will make these and hand them out as party gifts too! Once you have the skewer inserted into the apple, you can also put a decorative straw over the skewer to really make these special! Take a look at these classic Halloween Straws, or these bright colored straws! Once you dip the apple into the candy it will make the straw stick. Be sure to browse through all of our delicious recipes HERE!