French Toast Casserole Yum!!
Making traditional french toast is a lot of work, dirties a lot of dishes and you’re usually left at the stove while everyone else is enjoying the fruits of your labor. But making french toast casserole means you get to enjoy a delicious breakfast with everyone else around the table.
As you can tell by the pictures below you can use any kind of bread you have. When I have bread that is a bit stale or about to get yucky I just throw it in the freezer and then pull it out to make this or another of my favorite recipes, pineapple stuffing (we’ll be posting that recipe soon.)
Start by tearing the bread up and placing it in a large bowl. In another bowl add the eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon and sugar. Whisk together and pour over the torn up bread. Toss to cover. Then pour the bread and egg mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
In a third bowl add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut the stick of butter into slices or cubes and add to the bowl with the brown sugar mixture. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to mix this until it forms a crumbly mixture like this.
Spread the crumbly mixture on top of the bread and you’re ready to bake.
Pop in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how done you prefer your french toast. I like mine more dry so I bake it for forty five minutes, then place a large baking sheet under the 9×13 baking dish to keep the bottom from getting too brown.
This smells so amazing while it’s cooking! It’s sure to get everyone up and out of bed on the weekend.
Check out this Breakfast Recipes cookbook! You can get some major inspiration and have breakfast anytime of the day! The Big Book of Breakfast: Serious Comfort Food for Any Time of the Day
- 1 Loaf of Day Old Bread
- 8 Eggs
- 2 Cups Milk
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Cinnamon (split in half)
- 2 TB. Vanilla
- ½ Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 1 Stick cold butter, cubed (1/2 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Tear up bread and place in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and half the cinnamon (1 tsp.) and pour over the bread.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon (the other 1 tsp.) and salt.
- Cube cold butter and mix into the brown sugar mixture using a fork or pastry cutter.
- Spread butter and brown sugar mixture over bread.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Click +1 Below if you like this recipe: