Bacon and Cheese Broccoli Salad
Let’s be honest here…..I love pretty much any recipe that includes bacon and cheese. Who doesn’t? It’s a classic combination and a true crowd pleaser. But, broccoli is a sore spot for me. I’ve tried it several kinds of ways, but only a few recipes have really pleased my palette. I’m a picky eater and I’m not afraid to admit it. So if I’m eating broccoli, in any form, something has really been accomplished. This Bacon and Cheese Broccoli Salad is one of those recipes. I also really love that this recipe uses apple cider vinegar. To a lot of people that can really be a hard ingredient to take. But it has so many benefits and is really, really good for you. So I have been trying hard to incorporate that into my diet more as well.
- 1 lb broccoli chopped, I like to cut mine into smaller bite size pieces.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup of hot water
- 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ red onion minced
- 12 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup of sunflower kernels
- Place broccoli in a large dish and set to the side.
- In a small bowl, or a 2 cup measuring cup, combine the sugar and hot water and mix until dissolved.
- Pour sugar and water mixture over the broccoli.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the broccoli and stir to combine.
- chill for several hours before serving.
Surprisingly, my husband and I both enjoyed this Bacon and Cheese Broccoli Salad. I do have to say there are a couple of things I may change the next time I make it. This would only be because I am that picky eater and like to change most foods to my liking. But that’s the great part about a very versatile recipe like this one. I would probably use less red onion, or maybe just leave it out all together. But I’m not an onion fan at all. I like the flavor it gives off, but just not the pieces of it in my food. So I kind of ate around it. I would also probably use the Real Crumbled Bacon by Hormel, just to save time.
You may want to also check out this Big Book of Salads for some other delicious salad ideas.
Be sure to take a look at all of our amazing recipes HERE!