Homemade Pizza Margherita
Pizza is a meal that we have a lot of in our house. In fact, my husband and I had it for lunch just today! But something that we like to do every once in a while is make our own pizza. We can make smaller ones for the kids and they can put any toppings they like on their own personal pizza. And when I say make our own, I mean dough and all! Instead of a regular pepperoni or cheese pizza, we LOVE to make this Homemade Pizza Margherita! The recipe below will take you step by step from dough, to sauce and then the finished product!
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 9oz Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- 3oz Whole Mozzarella
- Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4-5 Fresh Basil Leaves
- Place the flour into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add the yeast, sugar, salt, olive oil and water and stir until combined.
- Put dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes or until a smooth ball forms.
- Place dough ball into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or clean cloth and set in a warm place for 30 minutes or until the dough has doubled.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and punch the dough to remove excess air, knead lightly.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls.
- Place 3 in a bag in the refrigerator, set one to the side.
- If you have a high temp pizza oven, begin preheating now. If not, put your pizza stone in a 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven now to get it hot.
- For the sauce, in a medium saucepan heat oil on medium.
- Cook the garlic in the saucepan for several minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, juices, salt, and oregano to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Dust pizza peel with cornmeal.
- Stretch pizza dough on peel until size is about 10-12 inches.
- Cover the dough with about ¼ cup of sauce.
- Cover sauce with about 3oz of mozzarella cheese.
- Top with basil either now or after you pull the pizza from the oven.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place pizza in oven and watch for cheese to melt and get bubbly and crust to brown.
Doesn’t this Homemade Pizza Margherita look delicious? I know this looks like a big process, but that’s why we only go all out and do this every once in a while. I think the kids favorite part is just making their own dough. We are adding new recipes every day so be sure to check back with us often. You can browse through all of our recipes HERE!
Looking for more homemade pizza ideas? Then check out this cookbook! It has 60 delicious recipes to try.