Crispy Shrimp Gumbo Fritters
These Crispy Shrimp Gumbo Fritters are a great alternative to having the soup version. We make these more often in the spring and summer, but when the cold weather has us thinking of warmer days this is our solution! If you are looking for a delicious dish to take for a New Year’s party, then these are a great idea!
Crispy Shrimp Gumbo Fritters
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 leek chopped and rinsed
- 4 Tbsp. of butter
- 4 clove of garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tsp. of black pepper
- 1 ½ cups of rice uncooked, short grain works best but not required
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning
- 5 green onions finely chopped
- 1 can 4.25 oz. of tiny shrimp, found near the canned tuna
- ¾ cup of flour
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2-4 cups of Panko Bread Crumbs
- oil for frying
- In a small sauce pan, over medium-low heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- In a large pan or Dutch oven over medium high heat, saute the onion and leek in 2 tablespoons of butter until soft and translucent. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of pepper and rice and saute an additional 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add ½ cup of hot chicken broth to the rice and stir continuously until all of the liquid is absorbed. Repeat a ½ cup at a time until all the broth is added, basically making a risotto.
- Spread the rice out on a baking sheet to allow it to cool rapidly, then set aside.
- In a pan over medium high heat, saute the peppers with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter
- until soft, 4-6 minutes.
- Add the Creole seasoning and the can of shrimp (do not drain) and cook until the shrimp is warmed
- through and most of the liquid has cooked off. Remove from heat.
- Add the rice back into the pan and stir to combine. Don’t worry if you don’t see the shrimp, they will basically disintegrate but add loads of flavor. Season to taste for Creole seasoning, Salt and Pepper.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture and form into a ball. It won’t really roll, just lightly toss them
- between your hands until ball shaped, gently place back on the pan you just used to cool the rice on.
- Place in the freezer at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Set up a dredging station, first is the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper, second is the 4 eggs and last is the Panko Crumbs.
- Lightly dust formed balls with flour, dip in the egg until completely coated, then coat with Panko.
- Deep fry at 350˚ until deep golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Keep a close eye on the temperature and adjust accordingly. Drain on paper towels or a paper grocery bag.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200˚ oven for 30-45 minutes
These Crispy Shrimp Gumbo Fritters do take some time, but they are delicious and worth every minute. Some of the prep time listed is the time the formed balls are in the freezer. Be sure to check out all of our yummy recipes HERE!
If you don’t have a small fryer, this is one like I have. They can be hard to find locally some times so if you have trouble finding one, this is a great option.