Crunchy Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Fall just screams for all kinds of apple recipes, warm baked goods and treats with sauces like caramel. Well, this Crunchy Caramel Apple Cupcakes recipe combines all of those into one! This may just be me, but I find caramel apples hard to eat. The caramel is so hard and I don’t even want to begin to tell you the mess my kids make with them. This puts a twist on that yummy treat AND it is so much easier to eat!
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- 1 cup of apple juice
- ⅓ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 Granny Smith Apple; peeled, cored and shredded - we used a regular cheese grater
- 10 oz of Caramels (about 36)
- ¼ cup of milk
- ½ cup of chopped peanuts
- 24 wooden sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine cake mix, apple juice, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large bowl and mix until well blended.
- Mix in the shredded apple and fill the prepared liners about ⅔ full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Set cupcakes to the side and allow to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, add caramels and milk to a medium sized saucepan. Melt the mixture over low heat until smooth, while stirring constantly.
- Spread melted caramel over the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and insert a wooden stick into the center of each.
Of course you don’t have to top with the chopped nuts if that is a problem for anyone in your family. You are not going to believe how much these Crunchy Caramel Apple Cupcakes remind you of the “real thing”. But now you can easily make and store 24 of them…if you have any left over. If you don’t have an apple corer, this is the one we use and it works perfectly!
Be sure to check out all of our amazing recipes HERE!