Pretzel Butterfly Cupcakes
If you’ve been a reader of Sweet and Simple Living (even for a short amount of time), then you have probably noticed that we LOVE cupcakes! There are just so many ways to decorate them and use all different kinds of flavors. We’ve recently shared our Marshmallow Sheep Cupcakes and our Easy Lucky Charms Cupcakes! And we are back again to share these super cute Pretzel Butterfly Cupcakes! Yes, these are decorated perfectly for Easter time. But they are also ideal all Spring and Summer long! When it’s not close to Easter, it will be harder to get your hands on the pastel M&Ms. BUT…..you can always just get those candy decorations in the baking section at almost any grocery store.
- 1 box Cake Mix - any flavor you like
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup softened Butter
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 4 cup Powdered Sugar
- Green Food Coloring
- Flipz White chocolate covered Pretzels (for wings)
- Bunny Mix M&M's (for body & head)
- Edible Easter Grass (for antennae)
- Bake the cupcakes according to the box directions.
- Transfer them to wire racks to cool.
- Cream the butter in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, and milk as needed, until everything is incorporated and frosting is the right consistency.
- Add several drops of green food coloring and whip a few more minutes to get an even color.
- Roughly ice cupcakes to resemble grass.
- Place 4 M&Ms on the center of the cupcake and slightly overlapping to make the head and body. We used the same color M&Ms for the body and a different color for the head.
- Cut 2 small pieces of edible Easter grass to make the antennae.
- Place 2 Flipz pretzels on each side of the M&Ms to make the wings.
Voila! That is all it takes to make these adorable Pretzel Butterfly Cupcakes! We found it easier to make the “grass look” with the icing by icing the cupcake then running a serrated knife from the outer edges toward the center of the cupcake. Then the M&Ms will cover up the area where it all comes together. Want to see more amazing cupcakes ideas and recipes? Then check out this cookbook! It has 175 amazing recipes!