DIY Funnel Cakes
This past weekend, my family and I went to the Bluebonnet Festival! This was after a long morning and afternoon of baseball of course. We didn’t tell the kids so it was a total surprise. There were all kinds of rides, live music playing, crafts and FOOD! Since it was later in the day, we decided we were going to have fair food for dinner and a funnel cake for dessert! Who doesn’t love funnel cake? Now, this was a special treat and we don’t eat like this all of the time. But…now that I came across this DIY Funnel Cakes recipe, we CAN enjoy these when ever we want! Ready to make your own? Just follow the easy recipe below and you’ll have your own funnel cakes in no time.
DIY Funnel Cakes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 1/2 cups Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 quart vegetable Oil for frying
- Combine the salt, baking powder and flour in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the eggs, sugar and milk in a large bowl.
- Slowly, add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat until smooth.
- The batter needs to be thin enough to pour.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit in a heavy skillet. Make sure the oil is at least 1 - 1 1/2" deep.
- Use a funnel, squirt bottle or plastic bag with the corner clipped to dispense the batter. Each funnel cake should use about half a cup of batter.
- Pour the batter into the oil in a circular motion overlapping itself.
- Fry until golden brown, then turn over carefully, and fry the other side for one minute.
- Drain on paper towels and sift powdered sugar over the cake.
- Serve warm.
The cook time listed above for these DIY Funnel Cakes is for each one that you make. They really come together much quicker than you might think. I have found that using these plastic condiment bottles to squeeze out the batter is really helpful. I can usually find these at my local Walmart or maybe even the dollar store, but if you have trouble finding them, you can always order them here.