Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
If there’s one thing that screams holidays…it’s pie. I really think that’s the only time of year I have pie….and several different kinds of it! My son’s absolute favorite kind of pie is this Homemade Pumpkin Pie! He would probably eat the whole thing if I would let him. Normally I would just buy these already done, but as a special project for him and I to do together we made this all by ourselves. He was so proud of himself…..and I was so proud of him. It really turned out great and he was thrilled to tell everyone that HE made it!
- 1 cup of shortening
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of cold water
- 2 teaspoon of white vinegar
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15oz) of pumpkin puree
- 1 can (12oz) of evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, work shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter until the texture resembles meal.
- In a separate, small bowl, beat the egg and add to mixture.
- Add cold water and vinegar to mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Place dough into a zippered bag and flatten to about ½" thickness with a rolling pin.
- Then place into the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface and place in a pie pan. Trim off any extra edges.
- To make the filling:
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves together.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Add in the pumpkin puree, sugar mixture and evaporated milk. Mix until well combined and then pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
Don’t let the homemade part of this Homemade Pumpkin Pie recipe scare you off. It’s actually really easy to make. If you really need to cut down the time, you can always get a pre-made pie shell. Be sure to also check out our Homemade Spicy Pumpkin Soup! It’s delish!
If you don’t have a pastry cutter, THIS ONE is great!