Homemade Baked Apple Chimichangas
I love it when I come across a recipe that is so versatile. These Homemade Baked Apple Chimichangas are not just a great snack, but you can have these for breakfast or even dessert. This recipe makes a casserole dish full, so you can store them and just re-heat them in the microwave as needed. My son devoured these and now wants me to make them all of the time. They take a little time to make, but are worth every bite!
- Apple Filling:
- 4 Apples
- 1½ cups Water
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 8 small Tortillas
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted Butter
- Core, peel and chop apples into bite sized pieces.
- Combine all of the filling ingredients except the apples in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook until mixture thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Add the chopped apples, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes (until the apples are tender.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds to make them more pliable for folding.
- Spoon the filling across the middle of the tortilla.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla before rolling the bottom of the tortilla over the filling, and then rolling over burrito style.
- Place in prepared pan.
- Spread the melted butter over each chimichanga and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until tops are brown and crispy.
You could also make these Homemade Baked Apple Chimichangas with some of your other favorite fruits, like pears. We are adding new recipes every day so be sure to come back and visit us often. You can browse through all of our recipes HERE!
If you don’t have an apple corer, this one is our favorite. We use it all of the time and it is so handy!