Homemade Chocolate Donuts with Peppermint Glaze
Since tomorrow is our last day of school before the Thanksgiving holiday, several of the parents are taking treats up to the school for the teachers to take home. We decided to make them something for breakfast and stick it in the teacher’s lounge as a little surprise in the morning. We went with these Homemade Chocolate Donuts with Peppermint Glaze! My kids LOVE donuts and we have been trying to make our own lately instead of buying them. You can get really creative and make all kinds of flavors, some of which you don’t even need an icing or glaze on top.
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- ¼ tsp of peppermint extract
- 15 peppermint disks or canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients for the donuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry just until incorporated.
- Use a funnel to transfer the batter into the donut pan until ⅔ full.
- Bake 11-14 minutes until springy and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow donuts to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes
- Place peppermint candy in a food processor and pulse until crushed.
- Combine glaze ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Dip the top of the donuts in the glaze and place on a wire rack to cool.
- After glaze has set, dip a second time and dust with crushed peppermint candy.
These Homemade Chocolate Donuts with Peppermint Glaze are perfect for the holidays, but we like to make them all year. In fact, holiday candy is already out everywhere so you should be able to get a great deal on mints. Don’t have a donut pan?? Try this one by Wilton, it’s the one I use and works great!
Be sure to check out all of our yummy recipes HERE! Our list is growing by the day!