Homemade Oatmeal Pies
I’m very excited to share this Homemade Oatmeal Pies recipe with you….especially today. You know how certain things remind you of people you love? Well, there are two things that always make me think of my papa, oatmeal pies and Hubba Bubba gum! He always had these two things around and we always knew he had a stash of gum on his dresser. The reason I’m extra happy to share this with you today is because today is his birthday! So Happy Birthday papa, this one’s for you! With this Homemade Oatmeal Pies recipe, you’ll make your own cookies, make the filling and then ENJOY!
Homemade Oatmeal Pies
- 1 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tbsp honey or molasses
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 cups uncooked quick oats
- 4 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 oz marshmallow creme
- 1 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and honey.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Drop 2 tbsp dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet about 2" inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden on edges. Watch closely; these go from nearly done to burnt very fast!
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the salt in hot water and allow to cool.
- Combine marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix on high until fluffy.
- Add in the cooled salt water and mix well.
- Spread filling on flat side of one cookie and top with the flat side of another cookie.
Don’t these Homemade Oatmeal Pies look amazing?? Of course, you could always leave the filling out and just have a delicious batch of oatmeal cookies too! We are adding new recipes every day and you can browse through all of them HERE!
Looking for more yummy oatmeal recipes? Try this cookbook! It has desserts but also includes breads and even main dishes!