Oreo Spider Cupcakes
Seriously!! How cute are these Oreo Spider Cupcakes!! I know what some of you are probably thinking…um, yea right! Trust me, Betty Crocker doesn’t live at my house either. But, if you break it down into little steps, these are much easier than they look. Plus, everyone who gets to have one of your tasty little treats will think you are parent of the year for pulling this off!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 24 Rips Whips Candy Strings, or something like it
- 48 colored M&M's
- ½ cup of black candy melting chips
- Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the box EXCEPT.....when filling the cupcake liners; fill halfway with the batter then place a cookie in the liner and finish filling with the batter.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Start working on this while cupcakes are baking and cooling:
- Place the black candy chips in the corner of zippered sandwich bag and heat in the microwave for 45 seconds. Gently massage to ensure candy is melted and smooth. Clip a tiny piece off the corner of the bag to pipe.
- Make a black dot in the center of each M&M to look like an eye.
- Gently twist apart each Oreo. Cut each candy string into 4 equal parts and press each piece into the icing of the cookie to make 8 legs.
- Pipe a little melted candy to act as glue and put the top back on the cookie.
- Pipe a little melted candy on the top of the cookie to glue eyes in place and allow to cool and set.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and vanilla. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, and milk (as needed) until everything is incorporated and frosting is the right consistency.
- Beat for 5 minutes to make sure it is fluffy.
- Ice cupcakes then decorate tops with the spiders.
Just to mix it up a little bit, we did some colored sprinkles on the tops of some of our Oreo Spider Cupcakes before placing the spider on top. Get creative and let your kids help too! Be sure to check out some our other fun Halloween recipes too like our Easy Halloween Popcorn and our Spooky Pretzel Bones!
Looking for more fun Halloween recipes? Check out THIS COOKBOOK!