Make at Home Onion Rings
My son thinks I am the best mom in the world since we found this delicious Make at Home Onion Rings Recipe! He LOVES onion rings, which is very funny to me because I am not a huge onion fan. He must get it from my husband! The perfectly crisp batter with a little kick of spice make these amazing.
- 1 large or 2 small Sweet Onions
- 1½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 1½ cups Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Water
- ¾ cup Bread Crumbs
- Salt to taste
- 1 quart Vegetable Oil for frying
- Cut onions into ¼ inch slices and separate into rings. Then place onions in a bowl.
- Add the buttermilk and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a deep skillet, heat the oil to 365-370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside. Pour the buttermilk from the bowl into the flour mixture and add the water and the egg and stir until blended using a fork.
- Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain.
- Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish. Dip the onion rings into the crumbs on both sides to coat.
- Deep fry a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown (turning midway).
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Salt to taste.
Don’t these Make at Home Onion Rings look yummy! My family loved them and this would be a great snack to make at future parties. I think the next time we make these, I’m going to try and cook them in my FryDaddy. The basket is so helpful and I won’t have a big pan of grease on the stove. I know these can be hard to find sometimes, but you can always order one online. This is the one we have.
We are adding new recipes every day so be sure to visit us often. You can browse through all of our amazing recipes HERE!