Spiced Cranberry Apple Acorn Squash
Can you believe it’s December already? I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. We are moving full force into the Christmas spirit and I wanted to start it off with this Spiced Cranberry Apple Acorn Squash recipe. I don’t know why, but I tend to cook a lot more squash during the Fall and Winter. I love all the different varieties that are out right now and this is such a festive dish. Not only does it taste amazing, but your house will smell so good while this is baking too.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1¼ cup of cranberries
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 2 apples: peeled, core removed and chopped into small bite size pieces.
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
- ¼ cup of apple cider
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Add a small amount of water (1/8" - ¼") to a shallow baking dish and place the squash, cut side down, in the pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Add cranberries, apple cider, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg to a medium sauce pan and place on low heat. Cover and cook until cranberries begin to pop and break down.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of warm water and stir to make a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the cranberry mixture and stir until thickened.
- Add the apples and pecans and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Remove the acorn squash from the oven,
- Drain the water and return the squash to pan, cut side up.
- Fill with the apple cranberry mixture and bake another 30 minutes.
Doesn’t this Spiced Cranberry Apple Acorn Squash look delicious? Be sure to check back with us often because we will be doing a lot more Christmas recipes and crafts right up until Christmas day! You can browse through all of our recipes HERE!
In case you don’t have an apple corer, this one is the one we use and it works like a gem. It makes things so much easier!