Homemade Soft Pretzels
I’ve really been on this fun, summer, snack food kick lately. Summer is so close and we can’t wait. Did you see the DIY Funnel Cakes, the Summer Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes or the Homemade Dill Potato Salad we recently shared? They are all amazing and delicious recipes! Today, we are back to share these Homemade Soft Pretzels! Don’t they look so yummy?? With the funnel cakes and now these pretzels it just makes me think of going to fairs and festivals! The recipe below will take you step by step through how to make these at home so you can enjoy them any time you want.
- 1½ cups Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2½ tsp or (1 pkg) Yeast
- 4 cups Flour
- 2oz melted Butter
- WATER BATH:
- 10 cups water
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Pretzel salt (can substitute Kosher or Sea Salt)
- To make the dough, combine the water, sugar, salt and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Wait 5 minutes or until it starts to foam.
- Use the dough hook attachment, and slowly add the flour and butter. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl (about 5 minutes).
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and sit in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheet pans with parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil.
- To prepare the water bath, bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil in an large pan.
- Lightly oil your work surface and turn out the dough and divide into 8 pieces.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a 2 foot rope. Flip the ends of the rope across each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the baking sheets.
- Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds each.
- Place the pretzels back on the baking sheet, brush the top of each pretzel with the egg wash and sprinkle with the pretzel salt.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
Voila! Now you can make your own Homemade Soft Pretzels! I wish I had this recipe when my son had his carnival birthday party. These would have been perfect! You can serve these just the way they are or put out some mustard or cheese sauce for dipping. Do you have a really nice stand mixer that you love? If you’ve been looking for one, this is one that I love!!