Red Hot Candy Apple Pie
Ohhhh-M-G…..I am so excited to share this Red Hot Candy Apple Pie recipe with you! This pie is so good and the red hots candy give it such an amazing flavor! I am totally for adding in candy pieces to cakes, cupcakes…okay, really anything. But this just takes it to a whole other level. Red hots are my nephews favorite candy so he was more than excited to try this out. We had some quality baking time together and he got to enjoy the fruits of his labor!
- 2 refrigerated pie crust dough sheets
- 2 cans of apple pie filling
- 3 oz of Red Hot candy
- ¼ cup of Water
- 6 drops of red food coloring
- sanding sugar - to sprinkle on top of the pie
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 oz of the Red Hots, food coloring and water. Cook over low heat and stir until most of the red hots are dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine apple pie filling and red hot mixture then stir to combine.
- Place one sheet of pie dough in the bottom of a pie pan.
- Pour filling into the pie crust and then sprinkle the remaining Red Hots on top.
- Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut the other pie crust into strips.
- Basket weave the strips to form a lattice top. Trim extra crust around the edges, and then crimp together.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with the sanding sugar.
- Bake for 40 minutes. If the edges of your pie are getting too brown before the center is browned, cover edges with aluminum foil.
- Allow to cool before serving.
I love to do the basket-weave top on pies so that is what we did on this Red Hot Candy Apple Pie, but that is optional. You can also just lay the crust on top and cut some slits in it. If you don’t have a pastry wheel and you’re interested in adding one to your kitchen, you’ll love the Norpro Pastry and Ravioli Wheel!
Head over HERE and check out all of our amazing recipes! The list is growing every day!